Thursday, March 31, 2022

BREAKING: Fayose Joins 2023 Presidential Race


 

Former Ekiti Governor Ayodele Fayose has unfolded his ambition to serve as the next president.

“May I also state clearly that I will be seeking the ticket of the PDP to contest the next presidential election,” he said in a statement in Lagos.

The former Governor said he has never endorsed former Anambra Governor Peter Obi for president on the platform of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP).

Fayose said the report credited to him that he had endorsed Obi and zoning of the Presidency to the Southeast is false.

Promoted Content
Fayose added: “No doubt, I have great respect for Peter Obi as a leader and I respect his aspiration, but at no point did I endorse his presidential ambition or that the presidency be zoned to Southeast.

“Rather, my take is that the presidency be zoned to the Southern part of Nigeria.”

NULGE CHIEF LAUDS RETURNING OFFICERS ON BRANCH ELECTION [PHOTOS]

The State President of Oyo State chapter of Nigeria Union of Local Government Employees (NULGE) Comrade Ayobami Olusegun Adeogun has commended the Returning Officers, Electoral Officers and Poll Clerks that participated in the conduct of branch elections held yesterday, 30th March, 2022 in 25 Local Governments for the outstanding success of the exercise.

Com. Adeogun gave the commendation in Ibadan today in his office at NULGE Secretariat while reviewing the outcome of the election.
According to him, members of the State Executive were highly impressed with their excellent performance in ensuring free, fair and credible election without violence in any of the 25 Local Governments.

Com. Adeogun specially expressed his gratitude to all Heads/Ag. Heads of Local Government Administrations/LCDAs, all HODs, all Units Heads and the entire members of the Union for their support and cooperation which led to the success of the election.
He, however, charged the newly elected Officers to consider their election as a call to service and enjoined them to work towards the growth and development of the Union for the betterment of members.

Promoted Content 
In his brief response, the State Secretary of NULGE, Chief Segun Netufo disclosed that virtually all the contestants and members of the Union expressed satisfaction on the new designed ballot paper that have pictures of contestants and described it as a welcome development and first of its kind in the history of Local Branch election.
The already planned joint official inauguration of elected officers shall be communicated soonest.

We’ve Lost More Than N3bn To Abuja-Kaduna Train Attack – Amaechi

Minister of Transportation Rotimi Amaechi on Tuesday said it will take more than N3 billion to replace what had been lost to the attack on the Abuja-Kaduna rail route.

Terrorists had attacked a train on the route on Monday, killing at least eight persons.
Many are also believed to have been abducted.

Mr Amaechi, speaking to reporters after visiting the scene of the attack, said the unfortunate event could have been avoided if a N3 billion digital security equipment had been acquired.
“We knew what the problem would be. We knew we needed to have digital security equipment. We applied for it.
“Because if we had those equipment, you will see nobody on that track. And I warned that lives will be lost. Now, lives are lost. Eight persons dead, 25 persons in the hospital. We don’t know how many persons have been kidnapped. And the cost of that equipment is just N3 billion. The cost of what we’ve lost is more than N3 billion. We’ve lost tracks, we’ve lost locomotives and coaches. We’ve lost human beings. And the equipment is just N3 billion.
“To fix all the things on that track now, will cost us more than N3 billion. And now even the things we said give us approval to buy – at the time we asked for it, dollar was N400, now it is N500. When you come with sincerity to government and your colleagues and people are stopping you, it is annoying.”

JUST IN: Makinde To Donate N500m For Air Force Base Construction In Ajia

Governor of Oyo State, ‘Seyi Makinde, on Thursday, promised to donate the sum of N500m for the construction of a base of the Nigerian Air Force, which would be located at Ajia, Ibadan.

The governor made the pledge, while receiving the Chief of Air Staff of the Nigerian Air Force, Air Marshal Isiaka Oladayo Amao, DFS, during a courtesy visit to his office at Secretariat, Agodi, Ibadan.

He added that his government will continue to support the officers and men of the NAF.

Makinde, shortly after, proceeded to the venue where the Air Force Base will be located to perform the official groundbreaking ceremony in the company of other top government functionaries.

The governor expressed hope that the Base will become one of the best Air Force bases in the country, assuring that his administration will do everything possible to achieve such feat.

“We want one of the best Air Force bases in the country to be located here in Ibadan, and our government will do everything possible to achieve that. On behalf of the government of Oyo State, I make a pledge that we, as a state, will contribute N500m,” Makinde stated.


More details later…

In Oyo Lawmakers exchange blows at Parliament


The councillors in ibadan north local government in Oyo State was seen exchanging blows on an unresolved matter.

During their monthly meeting, one of the legislators asked ” to dissolve the house immediately as leaders of the house were reportedly imposed on them.

Susprisingly, this was seconded by about four councillors which declined the speaker of the house to freely expressed himself.

Southwest-Frontier  gathered that the leader of the house Hon Kazeem Onatunji was beaten to stupor together with the other house leaders which triggered security men to intervened on the matter.

Hon somolu one of the legislator and the majority leader were also collide with a faction of the house while trying to rescue the leader of house.


Details later.....


Robber Arrested While Raping Victim’s Daughter During Operation In...

A 36-year-old man, Chika Ebbelugu, has been arraigned before a magistrates’ court after he was arrested while having sexual intercourse with the daughter of one of his victims during a robbery operation at Ojo in Lagos.

Ebbelugu, who was arraigned for rape, armed robbery and attempted murder, if found guilty would spend a minimum of 14 years in a correctional facility in accordance with the Lagos State Government’s law on sexual abuse.

According to the police, the suspect abandoned the robbery operation which he and other fleeing members of his gang embarked on to engage the daughter of one of his victims in sexual intercourse.

The prosecutor, Inspector Ekpo Edet, police said that the incident took place on March 5, 2022, on Akeem Lawal Street, off Imude Road, Shibiri area of Lagos.


Inspector Edet said the accused, along with members of his gang, broke into the victims’ house, but that not satisfied with the property which they robbed, the accused decided to rape a daughter of the house.

“It was while in the process that the victim’s father summoned courage and descended on the accused. The others fled and the accused was apprehended with help from neighbours,” the prosecutor said.

The Police added that some of the properties stolen included, laptop, phone, cash and other valuables.

However, the accused pleaded not guilty to the charges.

The magistrate, Mr T. A. Popoola, granted him bail in the sum of N500,000 with two sureties in like sum and adjourned the case to April 23.

Tension as gunmen burn Anambra council secretariat

AnambraMap of Anambra

There was palpable tension in Anambra State on Thursday as gunmen invaded and burnt the Secretariat of Nnewi South Local Government Area in Ukpor area of the state.

One person was also reportedly killed during the chaos. Though unconfirmed, the victim was said to be a security guard in the secretariat.

Details later… 


JUST IN: Austin Eguavoen steps down as Super Eagles coach


Austin Eguavoen has stepped down as Super Eagles Head Coach and will return to his role as Technical Director of all national teams, Southwest-frontier.com has gathered.

Sources revealed that Eguavoen has already transmitted an official letter to the Nigeria Football Federation stating his decision.

This is coming after he failed to qualify the team for the FIFA world cup which is slated later this year in Qatar.

Though, Southwest-frontier.com  also gathered that in the aftermath of the failed World Cup bid, the NFF was preparing to announce his sack from the team.

However, Eguavoen is yet to sign the proposed two-year contract for the Super Eagles job which he was handed two days before the first leg of the World Cup play-off against Ghana.

JUSTIN: Kidnappers Invade Palace, Abduct Popular Monarch


The traditional ruler of Bukpe community in Kwali Area Council of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), His Royal Highness (HRH) Alhaji Hassan Shamidozhi, has been abducted.

The monarch’s brother, who is the Chief Imam of the Community’s Central Mosque, Malam Jibrin D. Gimba, confirmed this to Daily Trust.

He said the incident happened around 9:32 pm on Wednesday.

He said the monarch, who was seated in front of his palace taking fresh air, was whisked away at gunpoint.

Promoted Content

“I just walked into my house after he his palace when he said he wanted to take some shower after which he will come out rest in front of his palace to take some fresh air,” the brother said.

“Some few minutes later, I started hearing gunshots… I watched through my window and discovered that the kidnappers had whisked him away.”

Gimba, who said the abductors of the monarch had not made any contact with the family, said the attack was the third in the community.

He said hours after the abduction, some policemen visited the community but later left.

The spokesperson of the FCT police command, DSP Adeh Josephine, had not responded to inquiries by our correspondent as of the time of filing this report.

As of Thursday morning, sympathisers were seen at the palace of the abducted traditional ruler.

Hidden N300 Billion Nigerian Money Discovered

The sum of N300 billion hidden in Nigerian banks have been discovered by the Ad hoc committee set up by the House of Representatives to investigate and recover unclaimed funds trapped in various commercial banks in the country.

He said the N300 billion was a fraction of the N1.2 trillion unclaimed funds in commercial banks yet to be discovered.This was made known by the Chairman of the Committee, Uyime Idem, at the resumed hearing for the investigation on Wednesday.

He said the funds were hanging funds and failed transactions from government agencies and banks that have appeared before it, adding that the committee was trying to recover the money from government agencies and the banks.

He said the committee was saddled with the responsibility of recovering the N1.2 trillion, adding that about N300 billion was discovered on March 29 from banks and government agencies.

He said the committee was still scrutinising documents and reports sent to it by banks and government agencies, adding that this would help the committee to recover more funds.

Idem warned that commercial banks who are yet to respond to the request by the Committee either to appear or submit documents risk being sanctioned if by Thursday they don’t show up.

“The commercial banks are regulated by government and they cannot refuse us. This assignment is crucial. We will not allow any government agencies or commercial bank to undermine our power. If the commercial banks fail to appear the next line of action will be to summon them,” he said.

The lawmaker said a situation where the country would go out to borrow money to fund budget deficits but have over N1 trillion hanging somewhere was unacceptable.

He added that if the monies in the banks were recovered, it would go a long way to help the country from borrowing.

The Committee however rejected documents presented to it by Citibank, accusing the bank of falsifying document which contradict the ones earlier presented to it by the bank.

The lawmakers also accused the bank owing the Federal Government about N99 billion from accumulated failed transactions and hanging funds.

However, members of the committee were not happy with the discrepancies in the documents submitted by Citi bank which showed different figures and number of customers from the recent documents submitted by the bank.

Mohammed Bio (APC, Kwara) said the action of Citi bank was criminal, saying “they had earlier submitted an account record of customers without BVN (Bank Verification Number) with a number of 11 people with huge sums of money. But today, they made another submission on the content but the figures and number of customers stood at 7 with just little money to their names which makes it curious.

“What are they trying to hide or could this be an afterthought that they had to bring these new documents”.

But the Executive Director, Operation and Technology of Citi bank, Ngozi Omokeme said they had nothing to hide and that the documents submitted were not falsified.

She said “with all due respect we are not here to change any documents. Also I am not here to falsify any documents. I did not any document that is outside what we have earlier submitted. The documents are consistently the same”.

BREAKING: Oyo Lawmaker, Hon Popoola Is Dead

Hon. Ademola Olusegun Popoola, a lawmaker representing Ibadan Southeast con...